D.L. Hughley Tweet About Debbie Reynolds’ Death Sparks Outrage

D. L. Hughley Debbie Reynolds Tweet

REX/Shutterstock

Comedian D.L. Hughley is facing backlash for a tweet about Debbie Reynolds’ death. The legendary actress died on Wednesday, one day after her daughter, Carrie Fisher.

“Debbie Reynolds died a day after her daughter did! Black Mama’s don’t die cuz they kids do! They cry and say God don’t make no mistakes!” Hughley wrote on Wednesday night, not long after Reynolds’ death was confirmed.

Hughley’s mentioned quickly filled up with users who were upset by his attempt at humor.

One user wrote, “As a human being you could have more compassion. As a father you could have more heart. As a comedian, you should have a seat.” To which Hughley responded, “Nah!! As a comedian I should say what I see.”

Another responded, “Somehow you have managed to trivialize the death of two beloved phenoms and the pain of black mothers who lost their kids.”

Earlier this week following Fisher’s death on Tuesday, Cinnabon was also met with backlash online. The company tweeted a picture of cinnamon arranged in the shape of Fisher’s “Star Wars” character Princess Leia with a cinnamon roll in place of her signature hairstyle. The company later deleted the tweet and apologized.

Steve Martin also came under fire for a tweet intended as a tribute. He originally wrote, “When I was a young man, Carrie Fisher was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She turned out to be witty and bright as well,” but later deleted the tweet.

6 Comments

1. Judy says:

December 29, 2016 at 11:34 am

Do you have a child,wife,someone,mom,dad,brother,sister, niece,nephew,close friend(s).? Do you respect them?
    I think not.
    You have disrescepeted two of the most beloved actresses the world has ever seen. Shame on you.
    RIP Carrie & Debbie.

2. Sonny Skyhawk

Sonny Skyhawk says:

December 29, 2016 at 11:27 am

DL Hughley is and has been, just that, a has been.

3. James Curtis

James Curtis says:

December 29, 2016 at 11:25 am

I Have seen the Snowflake PC Police out in force the past few days…
    When Carrie Fisher Passed away Steve Martin was attacked for describing her as “a most beautiful creature” and it was said his comment was “Sexist”
    and then Debbie Reynolds dies the very next day and DL Hughley (another Comic- Who have their own way of describing “Life”) makes the comment “Debbie Reynolds died a day after her daughter did! Black Mama’s don’t die cuz they kids do! They cry and say God don’t make no mistakes!”… and again the SNOWFLAKES come out to cry.
    I have a few “Words” for these SNOWFLAKES…
    These Sad pathetic wet dish towels who become emotional every time their feelings are hurt or someone dare say something that they Personally disagree with and become offended.
    I was raised by the two most Brutal men I have ever met ( My Uncle and Dad) I slept in bath Tubs on barn doors and outside 365 days a year from the ages of 6-15 years of age!!! I was beat black and blue on a dayly basis. So when I hear a SNOWFLAKE cry about someone hurting their feelings…I DON”T GIVE A SHIT!!! Go find something that is REALLY OF OFFENCE and….FIX IT!!! But in the meantime SHUT UP I am tired of hearing your sobbing. Did I offend you? How the HELL did that feel?

4. Lee says:

December 29, 2016 at 11:08 am

Just a racist pig…By the way, you are not funny and this just goes to show you have no compassion either. People have died due to the news of a loved one passing. I hope you never experience the loss of a child.

5. Mr. Tracey says:

December 29, 2016 at 10:22 am

DL has never really been a funny guy. So his post and defense of same are is ass-inine (deliberate misspelling). The deaths of 2 white icons are not in any way a set-up for a joke. And the fatalism of bereaved black moms nationwide is certainly not a punchline.
    His outburst is moronic.